Monday, January 24, 2011

The Organization Sensation

In the prologue and the first two chapters of Weinberger’s book, Everything Is Miscellaneous, the most interesting thing I found is the way we as people decide to organize things according to criteria such as what they are, there function (what they do), and there general importance.
Weimberger starts in the prologue by discussing the way the company Staples organizes their stores to make shopping easier for their customers. He goes over how every item has certain material limits and can only go in one area but when the items become digitalized the limitation disappears and the item can be found in any number of places. When these items are found on the internet by a person they are helping others to find them more easily whether that be purchasing it, rating it, or giving feedback on it, etc.
Chapter one goes more over organization and introduces the three levels of organization. Weinberger uses iTunes as an example and I think that made it really easy to understand. I have never thought about how organized and efficient iTunes really is and I feel like I use it just about every day. After reading about how the three levels work for iTunes I think it seems much more effective than alphabetization organization that is brought up in chapter two. Weinberger uses things such as, the encyclopedia, planets and the periodic table to describe alphabetization with organization.
One thing that I spend a lot of time organizing would be my coats and jackets. I think that I have more jackets and sweatshirts than anyone I know. I keep them on a door hanging coat rack that is in my room and I also have a bag full that I keep under my bed for different seasons and weather conditions. The ones that I keep on the coat rack go small to large from left to right with my robe always on the far right. This arrangement usually works very well for me besides when I get lazy and end up stacking a couple on my couch but that usually does not last for very long.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you do have a lot of sweatshirts and jackets. Imagine if they were all electronic, you wouldn't need for such an organization, they could just be in a "pile" and you could "search" for the one you wanted because as Weinberger said the bits can be arrange how ever you want and you're not limited by the physical atoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (points above) Digital jackets haha! It seems people have been talking about the iTunes example. I also spend a lot of time with iTunes and the author seems to not like the options you have. It might be that this books was written before certain updates of iTunes happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roommate has one of those electronic tie racks that rotates since he has so many, maybe you could get something like that for your jackets (after college of course when you're making money and have a master coat closet lol).
    As for the iTunes comment you made, I am curious to see how they organize their media in the future, since i'm sure there will be much more as well as new kinds of media (example: they just added podcast, apps, movies, tv shows, etc to itunes over the last few years)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty good post. You hit the overall main points, but I would've been curious to hear a few more specifics (for eg, on the "pay attention to" notes I put on the schedule). The orders of order, in particular, are something you're going to need to know. Overall though, decent job.

    ReplyDelete